We would like to thank the following for making our expedition possible:

Wednesday 22 July 2009

In Arolla

I flew out to the Alps on the 5th, arriving in Geneva at 7pm, on a sunday. Not even Swiss public transport was good enough to get me to Arolla that night, but the guides on my course were. Paul had also just flown in and ended up sharing his van with me. The course started at 9 the next day and I was introduced to Carry and Sam who with me would be guided by Phil where we headed out to a dry glacier to practice our cramp-on technique and crevasse rescue along with a little exploration down into the depths of the ice world.

We walked up to the Marie rose hut in good weather the next day, only to walk down due to bad weather but we still learnt a lot, braking trail ain't easy. The next outing seemed to be more promising as we walked towards the Dix hut working our war along a ridge as we went. The Dix hut has a stunning position looking at the north face of the Mont Blanc de Chelion. From here we headed up the Pigne d'Arolla on great crisp snow.

I next traveled to Saas to meet up with Sally and we would prove to have a successful 8 days exploring both sides of the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment